Thursday, October 20, 2011

Puno, Peru (Day Two)

Puno curbs around the edge of a lake, Lake Titikaka, which is the largest high altitude body of water in the world.  I am now at 12,421 feet, even higher that Cuzco!  I have been taking my altitude pills and my Coca leaves tea, and so far, so good.  In Cuzco I was welcomed with tea, in Puno (the folklore capital of Latin America), I was welcomed with dance!  A mix of Aymara, Quéchua and modern Peru.





Like a good missionary, I usually eat everything I am served, but tonight in Puno was really hard!  I ate Guinea Pig, a popular dish here.  I kept telling myself, "Pretend it is chicken, pretend it is chicken...".  I did not help that they serve the whole animal - head included!  I started eating it the best I could, and then I was told, "you have to eat 'cuy' (guinea pig) with your hands!".  Well, I survive the cultural culinary experience... and I am not sick...



It looks like a big rat!!

Tomorrow is a special day.  I will be going to the Uros Islands (Aymara indians) and finally to Taquile to find the Puno Quéchua, an unreached people group.  Pray for safety and health during the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment